Here are the fundamentals required for businesses to be successful in their social media endeavors:
- 1Patience – Business owners must first realize that success in social media is a process that will take time to play out. In social media, businesses that achieve the most success have remained patient with their processes and have committed to them for the long term.
- 2Taking a step back to listen – Traditional advertising was all about communicating the message while consumers listened. The consumer-centric nature of social media now requires businesses to listen to the messages being communicated by their target market.
- 3It’s all about quality – Publishing content that adds value for potential customers will encourage sharing out to a wider audience. It will also position your business as a credible resource for people who are researching the products and/or services offered by your company.
- 4Choose the platforms that are best for your business model – While it may be tempting, trying to be everywhere all the time will result in a shallow presence on all of your social media interfaces. Instead, focus only on platforms that will benefit your business the most.
- 5Participate – Consumers aren’t looking exclusively for information, they are also looking to connect. Being accessible to the community acknowledges that you value them and can help to deepen the relationships that a business has with its target market.
Social media offers businesses an ever-increasing number of opportunities to reach and engage their target markets. As opposed to applying the tried and true axioms of traditional advertising, however, the key to success in this new paradigm is to play the game by the rules as they are being set while following new and proven fundamentals.